The first week of summer requires a little celebrating, right? Why not go all out and make something special, like this incredibly delicious Grilled Lime Salmon with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice! This is a restaurant-quality meal that you can make and enjoy in the comfort of your own home. It’s packed with fresh, irresistible flavors that will leave you craving more!
Grilled Salmon with Mango Salsa
I absolutely love the combination here of the slightly charred lime salmon with the sweet, fruity mango avocado salsa and the rich and creamy coconut rice. It is all a match made in Heaven.
The salmon is perfectly seasoned and cooked, and has those nice grill marks giving it a tempting lightly charred flavor. And this colorful salsa has the best blend of flavors and textures! It complements the salmon so incredibly well.
Then the bed of coconut rice is the perfect base for the salmon and salsa. If you haven’t had coconut rice yet, you need to make it today! It is one of my favorite rice dishes that I make all the time and it’s so easy to prepare.
Grilled Salmon Ingredients
- Salmon fillets – the main ingredient. Rich in protein and nutrients!
- Olive oil – keeps the exterior for drying and sticking.
- Lime – adds so much bright flavor.
- Garlic – adds another layer of flavor.
Mango Avocado Salsa Ingredients
- Mango – adds fresh natural sweetness.
- Red bell pepper – adds more texture and color.
- Red onion – a little goes a long way here. Rinse it so it’s not so harsh first.
- Avocado – adds a delicious creaminess.
- Cilantro and lime – adds classic Mexican flavors to the salsa
- Olive oil and coconut water – this isn’t a must here but I like that bit of richness and moisture it adds.
Coconut Rice Ingredients
- Coconut Water – it adds flavor to the rice.
- Canned coconut milk – don’t confuse this with coconut milk beverage. The canned stuff is much creamier and richer.
- Jasmine rice – stick with jasmine, it has more flavor than plain long grain white rice.
How to Grill Salmon
- Whisk together lime juice and zest, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in large baking dish.
- Place salmon in baking dish and let marinate 30 – 60 minutes.
- Grill salmon until heated through.
- While the salmon grills, make the coconut rice (you make it like you do regular rice, just with coconut milk) and mango avocado salsa.
How Long Do You Grill Salmon?
This recipe calls for 6 oz salmon fillets. At that weight, you’ll need to grill the salmon for 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat.
MORE GREAT RECIPES:
Can I Bake the Salmon in the Oven?
During the winter months, you can also cook this salmon in a grill pan or bake it in the oven. The baked version won’t be quite as good because you won’t get the light char but when it’s zero degrees outside it’s what we do.
To do so, bake salmon in a greased 13 by 9-inch baking dish in preheated 400 degree F oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
Tips for the Best Grilled Salmon With Mango Salsa
- After you’ve sliced the red onion for the mango avocado salsa, rinse it under cold water to lessen its bite.
- Make sure your mangos are ripe before dicing them. You don’t want hard, flavorless mango chunks in your salsa!
- For creamier coconut rice, use full-fat coconut milk.
4 (6 oz) skinless salmon fillets
3 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for grill
2 tsp lime zest
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups Zico Coconut Water
1 1/4 cups canned coconut milk
1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained well
1/2 tsp salt
1 large mango, peeled and diced
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (1/2 large)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped red onion, rinsed under water and drained
1 large avocado, peeled and diced
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Zico Coconut Water
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salmon:
In an 11×7-inch baking dish whisk together olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste (a fair amount of each).
Place salmon in baking dish, cover and allow to marinate in refrigerator 15 – 30 minutes, then flip salmon to opposite side and allow to marinate 15 – 30 minutes longer. Preheat a grill over medium-high heat during last 10 minutes of marinating.
Brush grill grates with oil. Place salmon on grill and grill about 3 minutes per side or until just cooked through (turn carefully as the salmon will be fragile).
For the coconut rice:
While salmon is marinating prepare coconut rice. In a medium saucepan bring coconut water, coconut milk, rice and salt to a full boil.
Cover and simmer until liquid has been absorbed (there may be just a little bit of excess liquid in center which you can drain off), about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then let rest 5 minutes.
For the mango avocado salsa:
While the salmon is grilling prepare salsa. In a medium bowl toss together mango, bell pepper, cilantro, red onion, avocado, lime juice, olive oil and coconut water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve salmon warm with coconut rice top with avocado mango salsa.